What to do if disaster strikes
Don't wait until the last minute to get ready! Here are things you should do when a disaster strikes:
- Call ahead to confirm emergency shelter arrangements for you and your pets.
- Check your disaster supplies; be ready to vacate at a moment's notice.
- Bring all pets into the home and confine them (you don't want to to search for them if you have to leave quickly).
- Make sure all pets are wearing collars that are securely fastened with up-to-date identification. (You can write up-to-date information on the tab-band collar provided in your SAVE YOUR PET PACK).
- Make sure each pet carrier has up-to-date identification and contact information, including information on your temporary shelter location.
The circumstances and nature of the emergency will inform the first important decision: whether you stay put or evacuate. Understand and plan for both possibilities.